Thursday 19 September 2013

Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo

 Title: Siege and Storm
                                                                   Author: Leigh Bardugo
                                                                   Pages: 432
                                                                   Published: June 4th 2013, by Henry Holt and Co
                                                                   Series: The Grisha book #2
                                                                   Genre: YA, Fantasy
                                                                   Stars: 3/5
                                                          

Darkness never dies.


Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.


The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

                                      ***WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS***

I was slightly disappointed with Siege and Storm. I loved the first book which you can click here to check out the review. And I was looking forward to getting my hands on the second book to continue with Alina’s journey........but alas it wasn’t what I had anticipated it to be.

My opinions about the characters haven’t changed drastically. Just a few minor comments.

I felt Mal was just overbearing in this book and not his usual charming self. I understand that things have become veryyyy serious now and they are running for their lives so there isn’t any time to be jokey and easy going. But come on, cracking a few smiles here and there wouldn’t hurt.

My opinion of the Darkling, who hardly featured in this book, isn’t as high as it was in the first book. I don’t know, but I just got bored of him really, really, really quickly. Actually come to think of it, I got bored of Mal and Alina very early on in the book.

The new addition in the book is the youngest Prince Nikolai. I knew he was going to make an appearance in the second book and I knew he was the pirate. Out of the book, his character made it me continue on with reading the book. He was absolutely hilarious at time and serious in others. We don’t know his true personality as he constantly changes it to suit whatever the situation. I really liked him and I did what something to happen between him and Alina, other than the whole charade they were putting on, but we all know her heart still lies very much with Mal.

Moving on from there to relationships, I thought Alina’s and Mal’s relationship was annoying. I mean they get jelous at ANYONE who looks at the other person VERY VERY VERY quickly! That should not matter as frequently as it does with them when you’re in love with someone. It was just sooo frustrating whenever a prince takes Alina’s hand and Mal storms out the room or a girl looks at Mal and Alina desperately wants to use her power against her.


The whole plot line was boring and flat, focusing mostly on Alina’s hunger for more power. It slightly picked up at the end when Alina’s little Grisha army were coming together and making weapons to their advantage. After the small massacre at the end, Alina finds out that she no longer has her power and to be honest it didn’t really faze me or surprise. It wasn’t a big shock and my initial reaction was ‘oh, well using that much dark power would do that to you’, even though she did it in order to save her friends lives. Maybe it’s because I didn’t really feel any sort of sympathy or empathy towards her. Alina is not a character that most readers (I think) will care about. 

Notables quotes/passages:

“Watch yourself, Nikolai,” Mal said softly. “Princes bleed just like other men.”
Nikolai plucked an invisible piece of dust from his sleeve. “Yes,” he said. “They just do it in better clothes.” 

“I want to kiss you,” Nikolai said. “But I won’t. Not until you’re thinking of me instead of trying to forget him.” 

“Do you answer a question directly?"
"Hard to say. Ah, there, I've done it again” 

“And there's no way I'm leaving you alone with Prince Perfect."
"So you don't trust me to resist his charms?"
"I don't even trust myself. I've never seen anyone work a crowd the way he does. I'm pretty sure the rocks and trees are getting ready to swear fealty to him.” 

“You heard Prince Perfect," Mal said, and joined us at the table. Nikolai grinned. "I've had a lot of nicknames, but that one is easily the most accurate.” 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...